With a tradition of education stretching back to 1847, teaching has been our business for nearly 170 years. Prior to achieving university status in 2001 we have had an interesting and mixed history as an educational institute.
Originally founded by Reverend Francis Close, we began life as the Cheltenham Training College at the site that has since become our Francis Close Hall campus (FCH). Since then we have evolved through a number of phases, from becoming the St Paul’s and St Mary’s Colleges in 1921, to becoming the Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education in 1990.
Today the university warmly welcomes staff and students of all faiths and none, while still maintaining a close affiliation with our Christian heritage. You’ll find a Faith Space at each of our primary campuses, including the chapel at FCH, all of which operate an ‘open to all’ policy.
We now offer a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degrees, along with professional programmes and short courses. Search our courses to see what’s on offer.